Thursday, May 19, 2011

Morrow, out!

Ok, so the Seacrest reference is terrible in of itself, but it is bitter sweet because this particular blog post will also be my last.

It has been a long year of working towards modeling GPU power consumption, and just as the last week of semester gives way, leaving 9 days before Stephanie and I graduate, we are at the cusp of accomplishing our goal. At times I've wished that French was as easy as coding in PERL, but when I realized that sometimes PERL and the running of our benchmarks come up with things missing out of the blue, and 'fix' themselves after cutting/pasting the same exact code into the script only to have it magically work, I reconsider the ramifications of such a request.

This past week and a half Stephanie has been running the NVidia GPU benchmarks (FDTD3d), stressing the GPU with basic graphics runs, in order to gather data about the power usage of the GPU. In doing so, this kicks out .csv (commea separated values) files that are accessible via Microsoft Excel, as well as R (statistics program), that we can then manipulate and create models with. Creating these models basically tells us that the reading of the GPU power consumption is horrendously inaccurate (as expected), and creates another goal to strive towards - Creating (somewhat) accurate models of GPU power consumption. This will be the goal that Stephanie works towards over the summer.

As for myself? I shall be traveling to my home state of Arizona from the end of July through the middle of September to work a wine harvest (Wine in Arizona...?) in Sonoita, AZ, and then travel back to Rutherford, CA to work another wine harvest until December. After that, the plan is New Zealand or Australia, and then the wine pinnacle of the world, France. How this all relates to CREU? Being involved with CREU has helped me gain the confidence of learning a new way of perspective and thinking (via PERL), as well as the discipline and motivation to learn said language on my own - We didn't take any classes or training courses for it. Because of this experience, I've also gained more confidence in tackling other tasks, such as that of learning French and blending the use of it into my career path; marketing, wine, and computers. Quel bien (How nice) !

It has been a wonderful experience my last year in college, and we certainly couldn't have done reached our goal without the support of CREU, our advisor, Dr. Rivoire, and our hordes and throngs of fans. It has been a pleasure - Thank you and au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment